Late notice but.... Freehold Yarn Co. has been invited to run a pop up stall at the Sewing Cafe - Lancaster Ethical Clothes and Textiles Event to commemorate the Rana Plaza collapse where many factory workers lost their lives due to poor working conditions and an unsafe factory.
This is something close to our hearts, although we love to create clothing, we can't make everything so there is a duty to buy responsibly. Lately there has been a surge of visible mending which is absolutely charming, Sewing Cafe Lancaster run drop ins where they can assist, or completely repair items that would otherwise go to landfill (click here for more info). I (Amy) love to tell the story of the 200£ brand new silk dress that I got for 20£ as the seam had opened 1 cm at the zip, it only took 5 mins to repair and the dress makes a regular rotation in my wardrobe.
We will have our supply of yarns and notions, these have been curated to be organic and/or responsibly sourced, including yarns will be perfect for darning sweaters or socks that would otherwise be lost to the bin! We will also be showing off our Liberty Jane dress which uses organic cotton yarn and a small fabric skirt - I dare say most sewing folks will have enough fabric in their stash.
The event program:
- Pay as you feel cafe (lunch items + LOTS of cakes!)
- Clothing swap
- Information on the clothing industry
- Pop-up stalls
- Guided slavery tour around Lancaster ( at 10 am and 2 pm, book your place at email@example.com)
- Sewing Workshop: peg dolls 12 to 1 pm
- Spinning wgeel with Pam Southernwood
- Tapestry art project: dress made out an amazing tapestry with found objects
- Local projects
- Table with fabrics and patterns and more!
See you there!